Saturday, February 5, 2011

PostSecret

Let me introduce PostSecret to you. 

PostSecret is an ongoing community mail art project, created by Frank Warren, in which people mail their secrets anonymously on a homemade postcard. Select secrets are then posted on the PostSecret website, or used for PostSecret's books or museum exhibits.The simple concept of the project was that completely anonymous people decorate a postcard and portray a secret that they had never previously revealed. No restrictions are made on the content of the secret; only that it must be completely truthful and must never have been spoken before. Entries range from admissions of sexual misconduct and criminal activity to confessions of secret desires, embarrassing habits, hopes and dreams. The secrets are meant to be empowering both to the author and to those who read it. Frank Warren claims that the postcards are inspirational to those who read them, have healing powers for those who write them, give hope to people who identify with a stranger's secret, and create an anonymous community of acceptance

Frank has appeared on national TV, including Oprah and other talk shows. I have been following this movement for a few years now. I could go on and on about how amazing it is, but you should check it out for yourself at www.postsecret.com.

Anyway, he tours around the U.S. speaking and sharing more secrets. He hasn't come near me, other than the time he came to Atlanta when I lived there and was two weeks postpartum. Needless to say, I didn't make that event. I found out a few weeks ago that he would be in Statesboro on 2/2. I went, and finally got to see Frank, and even got my book signed. So amazing!


Frank Warren, the Founder

Me and Amy waiting in line 

Frank himself, signing my book!

It was an awesome experience that I have been waiting forever to do. I highly recommend you check out the books and the blog. It's such a cool concept.

Well, it's a rainy and cold Saturday here. This means cartoons, playtime and PJs! More tomorrow...

1 comment: